Are you bored of eating idli and thosai with the same curries or chutneys?
Then, its time for you to explore the delicious Kadalai Paruppu Mutton Kheema Gravy!
Indeed, the sweetness of mutton and kadalai paruppu compliments very well with the spices. If you’re curious to taste this aromatic gravy, simply follow the recipe that Astro Ulagam found just for you.
150 g Mutton – minced/ grounded
1/2 cup kadalai paruppu
1/2 cup (100 g) Potato - cut into chunks
1/2 of 1 big Onion - chopped
3/4 cup Tomato - chopped
5 Garlic cloves - peeled
5 or more Green Chili for heat - split
1/8 cup Oil
1+½ cup Water
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
3 tsp. Red Chili Powder
2 tsp. Coriander powder
1 Green Cardamom
1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
1/4 cup Fresh Coriander - chopped
2 tsp. lemon/lime
1) Rinse and soak the kadalai paruppu for 15 minutes in water.
2) Heat oil in a skillet. Add bay leaf, cardamom, star anise and cinnamon. Saute 10-15 seconds and add fennel seeds.
3) Once the fennel seeds are brown in 5-7 seconds, add the green chilies. Saute for another 5 seconds. Then, add garlic and onions. Saute for 3 minutes.
4) Add the potato cubes, tomatoes, turmeric powder, chili powder and coriander powder. Mix well and cook for 7 minutes until tomatoes are soft and mushy.
5) Now, drain the kadalai parupu and add to the masala. Next, add the minced mutton and mix well. Cook for about 8 minutes until the meat turns brown.
6) Transfer the masala into a pressure cooker. Add one cup of water and season with salt. Cook for 3 whistles and then, cook on low flame for 10 minutes.
7) Add the chopped cilantro and mix well until the potatoes loose shape to give thickness to the gravy. Add lime juice.
8) Serve hot with idli, thosai and even rice!
Picture credit: cooking.jingalala.org
CH 231, 9.00pm