Are you feeling that your body is being put to the test with all these weather-induced aches and pains?
Then, it’s a good time to nourish the body with some healthy foods!
Astro Ulagam found a Chinese Chicken Mushroom Soup recipe that is definitely up to the task–and it’s a quick remedy to boot!
20 small dried shiitake mushrooms
8 cups water, plus 1/2 cup (divided)
2 tablespoons dried goji berries
4 dried Chinese dates
1 small organic chicken (3½-4 pounds)
1 tablespoon oil
5 slices of ginger
Salt, to taste
1 scallion, finely chopped
1) Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms in 8 cups of water in the soup pot for 6 hours or overnight. Trim away the stems (after soaking) before cooking and add the mushrooms back to the pot of water.
2) Add the dried goji berries and dried Chinese dates to the soup pot (no need to soak these beforehand). Bring to a boil over high heat, and then immediately turn the heat down to low.
3) Once the soup has simmered for 30 minutes, heat a wok over medium high heat until it starts to smoke slightly. Turn the heat down to medium, and add the oil and the ginger slices.
4) Cut the chicken into large pieces and lightly brown the chicken in the work before stirring in the soup.
5) Add the chicken to the soup pot. Deglaze the wok with ½ cup water, and add it to the soup pot as well.
6) Simmer for another 30 minutes over medium heat. Add salt to taste and sprinkle with chopped scallions’ right before serving.
Picture credit: thewoksoflife.com
CH 231, 9.00pm