Don’t you agree that crab isn’t the easiest critter to prepare?
Although the crab preparation can be a bit daunting, it’s worth it due to the absolutely delicious flavors!
Astro Ulagam found an easy curry gravy crabs recipe just for you! This is a popular dish in Macau.
2 large crabs
2 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons oil
5 thin slices fresh ginger
5 cloves garlic, chopped
3 shallots, diced
1 scallion, finely chopped
2 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
¼ cup water
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1) Dredge the cleaned crabs with flour and keep it aside.
2) Heat the wok over high heat and add 3 tablespoons of oil. Sear the crabs, paying special attention to the open dredged areas in order to seal in the juices. Turn the heat to medium and fry until they've turned red-orange. This process should take about 5 minutes and the crab should be about 80% done. Set them aside.
3) Add ginger to the leftover oil in the wok and caramelize for 1-2 minutes on low heat. Now, add garlic, shallots, and the white portions of the scallion. Cook until softened.
4) Turn heat to medium high and add the curry, turmeric, salt, sugar, water and apple cider vinegar. Stir until mixed well.
5) Toss in the crab until coated and cover the wok. Cook for about 1 minute and stir the crab until liquid is reduced. Garnish with the green portion of the scallions and serve!
Picture credit: thewoksoflife.com
CH 231, 9.00pm