Beetroot has been elevated to the status of a super-food.
The benefits of beetroot includes relief from anemia, digestion, constipation, piles, blood circulation, kidney disorders, skin care, and even dandruff.
Astro Ulagam found a super delicious Beetroot Rasam recipe just for you! Don’t worry about the taste because it’s so tasty that you would want to make it again.
(A) To roast and grind to paste
Oil - 1 tsp
Red chili – 4 or more for heat
Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
Jeera - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 5
Coconut, grated - 1/4 cup
(B) To temper
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Finely chopped Garlic - 2 tsp
Asafoetida/ hing - 1 pinch
(C) For Rasam
Beetroot - 1
Tamarind - Small gooseberry size
Jaggery - 1/4 tsp
Rasam powder (Optional) - 1 tsp
Green chili – 2 or more for heat
Turmeric - A pinch
Salt - As needed
1) Peel the skin of the beetroot and cook it until soft.Cube and keep it aside. Roast the ingredients in (A).
2) Let it cool and grind with the cooked beetroot and water to form a paste.
3) Boil 4 cups of soaked tamarind water for 3 minutes. Then, add the paste, rasam powder, jaggery, green chilies and salt. Let it froth but not boil.
4) Temper the ingredients in (A) with some salt and add to the rasam. Mix well.
5) Serve hot on a rainy day with steamed rice, appalam and side dish!
Picture credit: .rakskitchen.net
CH 231, 9.00pm