Cooking Sakkarai pongal is compulsary for Hindus around the world who celebrates Pongal festival. Here's the recipe for a yummy Chakkarai Pongal.
1 cup of raw rice
1/4 cup of moong dhal
3 cups of milk
1 cup of water
4 crushed cardamom pods
4 tablespoon of ghee
10 to 12 cashews
10 - 12 Raisins
1/2 cup grated jaggery
1. In a pan, roast the Moong dhal for about 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Add the roasted moong dhal, rice, milk and water to a pressure cooker and let it cook for approximately 5 whistles on a medium flame. Please do not leave it on high flame.
3. Mix the grated jiggery with ¼ cup of water and set it aside.
4. Once the pressure is released, mash the rice-dhal mixture while it is still hot.
5. Using a large, thick bottom pan, add 2 tablespoon of ghee and roast the cashews and the raisins.
6. Add the jaggery-water mixture into the pan and wait till it boils.
7. Sprinkle some cardamom powder and add the mashed rice-dhal.
8. Mix well and add the remaining ghee.
Picture Credit: Cook with Sneha and Shamis Passion
CH 231, 9.00pm